Hey douchebags

Public Forum open to all visitors.
Charlie3

Post by Charlie3 »

dangit seth.. u made me google the guy and actually read about him (actually I also like history... alot)

however this guy seems to have alot more to do with English medival history than French

btw if you really like teh medival shat... you should find a cheap used book called Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Follet in general is a shat author who writes like Grisham... food for the masses and not worth reading. However this one book he wrote was quite entertaining. It's about a man roughly living around the time of William of Normandy whose lifelong dream is to build a beautiful cathedral... lots of medieval carnage and good vs evil stuff

Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Charlie3 wrote:French Medieval History?

gawd I don't even know if any colleges teach that shat!

my hs history teacher was a joke... his real job was coaching the football team

honorable profession tho seth... many kudos

Now that's funny. Mine was the baseball coach. I played ball so I really didn't have to do much in history class. I wanted to be a lawyer until I found out that the major study for law was history.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
thor

Post by thor »

Charlie3 wrote:dangit seth.. u made me google the guy and actually read about him (actually I also like history... alot)

however this guy seems to have alot more to do with English medival history than French

btw if you really like teh medival shat... you should find a cheap used book called Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Follet in general is a shat author who writes like Grisham... food for the masses and not worth reading. However this one book he wrote was quite entertaining. It's about a man roughly living around the time of William of Normandy whose lifelong dream is to build a beautiful cathedral... lots of medieval carnage and good vs evil stuff

I agree about follet, but his historic novels are fun. I have read this book - and if I'm not to much wrong this is a serie of three books following him and his family for 2 (?)generations
Thor
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 The DamBusters
I was a bit unclear... I mean I don't give a sh..t what I'm bombing - as long as I fly with my friends.
I'm a happy bomber
Gulden Kunstverk.com | Gulden Kunstverk.no | Nettgalleri
Ithica

Post by Ithica »

Oh don't worry he changed medieval history period. Started centralizing government leading to the nation states we know today. Not to mention that whole 100 years war thing. Oh and can you tell me the last person to invade mainland britain successfully? :) He was a cool doode. He was an ass apparently, but cool cause he was a badass.
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

Ithica wrote:Oh and can you tell me the last person to invade mainland britain successfully? :)

There are several million Indians, Pakistanis, Turks, Arabs, Africans etc. doing a fair imitation of that as we speak. :D

Pillars of the Earth is a good read, quite interesting. Another excellent book is Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose". A brilliant insight into the life in a medievel monastery. Basically a murder mystery, it goes into so much detail about the time period, and the culture, estremely well written, by a world renowned semiotician (sort of like linguistics). The movie was good (had Sean Connery in it), but not a patch on the book.
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron