Trimming question.

Public Forum open to all visitors.
deffield

Trimming question.

Post by deffield »

Flying solo for a bit these past few days, I've noticed that even if I carefully trim my plane to a constant say 0.8AoA, the plane still waggles, by that I mean it gains speed, climbs, climbs too much, looses speed, dives, gains speed, climbs...etc.

Is this normal, or am I doing something daft?
Deffield
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 Sqn "The Dambusters"
------
Axis response to 617 CAS
Main4ce

Post by Main4ce »

thats normal, when you adjust trim you need to do it in small increments, so going from an AoA of 0.1 say to 0.6 will make your plane climb hard, lose speed and then drop off and so on........

so take off with full trim ...trimming down for speed at a low alt until you get the AoA you want and leave her there, but also give her a chance to settle in! (there is a bit more to it but this will get you off on the right foot)

Also see Codguys "Piloting the DB7" link in the left hand side bar

http://617dambusters.com/guide.html

:)
Main4ce
XO
RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

Moto: "After me the flood"

Another Happy Bomber!
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

That climb/dive/climb/dive routine is called a fugoid.

The aircraft will settle in once it finds itself a nice comfortable airspeed/attitude. Don't try and chase the trim, the trim will end up settling at its own airspeed. If that makes sense...

Codguy has read the right books, landed on the right aircraft carriers, whatever he has to say about it is the good oil.
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron

Admiral1

Post by Admiral1 »

If the current AoA of the bombers are .07 and the flight lead say AoA 1.0.

Did they go right from .07 to 1.0 or did they slowly keep trimming up to 1.0 ?
Main4ce

Post by Main4ce »

If thats reported then they have gone from 0.7 to 1.0 in one step....which can happen in some situations!

Help, was that you Simon...How are man? I know I speak for all when I say "we missed ya bud" and its great to hear that you are still alive! :D
Main4ce
XO

Another Happy Bomber!
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

Yeah still kicking thanks mate.
I'm just a bit over logging into the game, diving on some AB and not being able to pull out for lag.

When I get some more loot together (some time after 2015) I'll upgrade my machine, and will probably still fly into the ground. Just won't be able to blame lag.

My weekends have been very busy for a while, studying, flying, all that stuff. Other times I've hopped on, it's either been nobody home, or RDP cycles complete.

I'm just off to the airport in a few minutes to pick up Cono (1.30 am), and we're going out for a fly tomorrow, should be fun. I'll see if I can find him a Panzer and a satchel somewhere.

A good trick with trim is if you have to pull back or push forward on the stick, it means you're out of trim. Adjust trim accordingly, until you can take your hands off the stick, and the aircraft stays more or less where you want it to be.
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron

Main4ce

Post by Main4ce »

You guys have Fun Simon & Cono!
Main4ce
XO

Another Happy Bomber!
hiiamben

Post by hiiamben »

and Simon wrote'

hat climb/dive/climb/dive routine is called a fugoid.

The aircraft will settle in once it finds itself a nice comfortable airspeed/attitude. Don't try and chase the trim, the trim will end up settling at its own airspeed. If that makes sense...

Codguy has read the right books, landed on the right aircraft carriers, whatever he has to say about it is the good oil.

See dog i told ya it has to find its groove:)
617 dambusters not just a squad but a game imbalance

Stand up America before it's too late!!