RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
Charlie3

Re: Go Vote

Post by Charlie3 »

AJV wrote:
Charlie3 wrote:Ya schmucks!

If you are American and you do not vote, I have this to say:

"You suck."

That is all.

Is it November already?!?!

primaries

never heard of half the people on the ballot and had to research them

checks this guy out for example

basic summary:

hi im running for office because my social security check doesn't pay all the bills

Robert Jardine - He Wants Water In the Limelight

By Joy Cochran
The Ledger

WINTER HAVEN -- Robert Jardine said his campaign for a seat on the Lake Region Lakes Management District is a grassroots one in which he won't side with any special interest group.

He's chosen the campaign slogan "Keep It Flowing."

"Water is a precious commodity," he said. "We need to keep it in the limelight."

The 66-year-old Jardine admits he's never attended a Lakes Management District meeting.

"That's not because I didn't want to," Jardine said. "I try to keep abreast of what's going on in the newspaper."

A 20-year resident of Winter Haven, Jardine is campaigning for Seat 1, currently held by board Commissioner Rennie Heath, who decided not to seek re-election.

Matthew Kaylor and Mark Remmel are also campaigning for Seat 1 on the board.

The election is Sept. 5.

Because this is a three-way race, the winner must receive more than 50 percent of the vote. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, a runoff election will take place Nov. 7 between the top two vote-getters.

Jardine has reported $230 in campaign contributions. The first $200 contribution he made. The remaining $30 came from in-kind contributions for travel and postage, including $20 from Jean Reed, a candidate for Polk County Commission. He has reported spending $144 for candidate fees.

Unlike his opponents, Jardine has not placed campaign signs around town.

An independent special taxing district, the Lake Region Lakes Management District is charged with maintaining canals on the Chain of Lakes, building boat ramps, and monitoring and improving water quality.

The district is made up of more than 60 lakes from Lake Alfred on the north to Wahneta and Lake Winterset on the south, and from Lake Mariana to the west to Lake Fannie to the east.

One of the reasons he wants to sit on the board, he said, is that he can use the extra income the seat pays.

The four-year term pays $300 a month.

"I need the money because of the way the new (Medicare) drug plan is. Other costs are going out of sight," Jardine said. "The added income will help keep me at the income level I was (before the drug plan was required). That will sweeten the pot, so to say."

Jardine, who lives near Lake Elbert, is concerned that if water quality in the local lakes is allowed to decline, he'll no longer be allowed to enjoy his favorite water pastime -- skiing.

"Maintaining the water quality in the lakes is very important," he said. "The lakes are a very important issue with the growth we're having."

Winter Haven is no longer known as the Water Ski Capital of the World, Jardine said.

"Somewhere along the line it came to be the Chain of Lakes City," Jardine said. "The Water Ski Hall of Fame moved to Polk City."

Besides maintaining water quality in the lakes, Jardine said he isn't aware of any issues the district, or Executive Director Roger Griffiths, faces.

"Roger Griffiths is doing a fine job with the finances," Jardine said. "He maximizes every penny. Roger has great vision."

The district's current annual budget is $929,000.

Jardine said he hopes there will be a good voter turnout.

"People need to wake up and exercise their right to vote," he said.

Of course, Jardine hopes to get the most votes, but he has nothing against his opponents, Kaylor and Remmel, either.

"I wish them all the luck in the world," Jardine said. "I have no agenda. I'm only speaking for myself."

Besides campaigning, Jardine, who is blind, has had to deal with recent legal decisions involving his guide dog, Miden. The 8-year-old German shepherd was declared vicious after he mauled Buddy, a 10-pound Maltese, in June when Jardine and his dog entered a local medical rehabilitation office.

The company that gave Miden to Jardine later determined the dog should be retired for health reasons and Jardine has now applied for a replacement guide dog.

Jardine is appealing the Aug. 3 decision by a hearing officer for the Polk County Sheriff's Office Animal Control Division that Miden is vicious and must be muzzled when in public.